Thursday 1 September 2011

Tree from the Rocks

 

'Tree from the Rocks', Acrylic on Canvas

It's about rocks like a tomb, trapping a tree, 
Blocking the light, but the tree bursts free.
Pushing the slab of rock aside,
I don't think I could if I tried!

The dark is too dark
How can you survive
Hope is so small
but it is alive.

Life has strength and power
and Hope does not die.
A tree stands firm like a tower,
from a seed of faith buried on a hillside.

When the power of heaven join and face
The struggles and darkness of this place
Hope goes hand in hand with reality!
Rocks like a tomb, but the tree bursts free!


Inspired by a tree discovered off the beaten track in the Lake District, while I was on a walking trip with my Dad and stepmum the weekend before Easter 2011. I took a photo of this prophetic tree and decided to paint it for the June Project Art Space and up sprung this poem while starting to write the blurb to accompany it!   

Original sketch: water colour pencils


When I wrote this in June, poetry was not something that I considered to be 'my thing'; particularly as I'm dyslexic, it was quite the opposite. I always struggled getting thoughts and ideas on paper in anyway other than a mindmap or picture! (Although, I did used to write very long letters- that only occasionally made it to the postbox!) 

So I was quite surprised and totally amazed at how natural it seemed to write, and how easily this poem had appeared like a new spring!

Hope you like it! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment